Home Support Symphony Pro

Dragging notes to alter pitch with Apple Pencil in SP App version 6.1.9

Hello there,
I have been enjoying SP on my iPad for a couple of years using my Apple Stylus.  It’s transformed my scoring and composition, I absolutely love it :-).
However in the latest SP update 6.1.9 the ability to edit the note pitch by dragging it appears to have been greatly reduced.  You can’t see what note it is on as you drag it and it doesn’t sound the notes as you drag it up or down in pitch.
I can’t see why this would be changed as it was a key feature, and I can’t find any switch or button to reset it.  The manual just indicates that this is how you edit it, but it’s now extremely hard to do.

Have I missed something?  Is there anything I can do?  I’m hoping it’s a glitch in the roll-out and it’ll be rolled back, or there’s an easy way to get it back but I’m so worried as I’ll be lost with it :-(

Can anyone help me?

Thanks so much and best wishes to all.

Matt

My technical Information:
Device: iPad8,5
iOS Version: 14.4.2
App Version: 6.1.9

Comments

• edited April 2021
    Very sorry about these major bugs in 6.1.9. The next revision (6.2) will reverse these issues. It's being more carefully tested than previous updates to make sure they're fully resolved, and that it properly starts implementing the improvements (but not drastic changes) we've been planning with regard to repositioning/modifying single and multi-note selections.
  • Hi - OK, many thanks, that sounds promising.  Please can you provide an indication of when 6.2 will be released? Best wishes, Matt
  • @MattBo
    Sorry about the wait! The first update (fixing an important freezing issue, as well as the sound) will be released by tomorrow. However, it will be followed by another update around the end of the week to make the editing response time as fast as it was before (as it currently might lag).
  • Hi, just to check in with you - this issue is not resolved!!!  I am on SP 6.3.3.  My iPadOS is now 14.8.  I get occasional email contact from you, but none of your suggestions or upgrades have helped :-(

Here it is again:  I like to drag notes with my apple stylus to edit them and position them for the right pitch.  I need SP to sound the pitch as the notes are dragged past each position so I can do this effectively.  It used to do this beautifully!  I used to be happy with SP!!  Now however this only works in the first bar of any of my pieces, and in all subsequent bars the pitch does not sound as it is dragged through them or on the final note when I leave it.  I have sent you two videos showing this happening!  It is so strange that this used to be fine and now the inconsistency in behaviour of the software between how it responds to user inputs in the first bar, and user inputs in all other bars, which is a really perplexing thing!!

Please can someone help with this?  I can’t see anyone else raise this issue - I am truly perplexed, it is completely debilitating and stopping me for 6 months from properly using SP - I am bereft!!  Please help me by showing me I am doing something wrong, or please fix this fundamental bug!!

Thanks so much.  Matt
  • edited October 2021
    @MattBo
    Thanks for the reminder about this! A major update is on the way for the App Store (ahead of a new beta release as well) that resolves issues with audio though we aren't sure yet if it resolves this perplexing issue. However, we've "worked backwards" from possible states in which the audio silence most likely occurred (i.e. while dragging a note), then made sure that those states never occur by returning the app to the valid state. Your demos have been absolutely crucial to finding these potential causes.

In this way, the upcoming update (6.3.7) contains a direct answer to your bug reports. However, we still hope for your continued follow-up (see below). 

We've been keeping track of every detail/follow-up you've provided after the demos. However, we still haven't been able to replicate the bug given those details along with the earlier demos, though we greatly appreciate them and hope to see your feedback continue. 

Therefore, we request any of the following additional details if or when you have the opportunity, preferably over email!

- If you have the opportunity, there was a very important detail/suggestion we forgot to ask: whether (a) Closing the app from the App Switcher,  then (b) clearing the Cache and app settings under Home Screen > Settings > Symphony Pro > Reset Cache and Application Settings Data might return the app to a consistent state (so as to resolve this elusive bug).
    - An example (.sym) project, corresponding to any file that is affected by the issue would also be appreciated. If possible, we hope you will send it to our email soon.
    - In any case, we would also like to know whether the issue occurs with any project, or if you only noticed it for specific ones.
    - After updating to version 6.3.7 or later: If the issue occurs despite updating to that newer version.
  • Hi- thanks so much for your response, I’ll get on to checking this and also the new version just dropped - will let you know and send through what I can.  Thanks. Matt
  • HI there, this problem is still live guys, nearly 12 months on.  Notes don’t sound when i drag them up or down with my apple pencil, except in the first bar.  And now another thing, I can’t close a file that is open, as the projects menu flashes up for a moment and then disappears and doesn’t let me click on any of the options.  Have you guys given up on SP…?  I was such a super fan.  I guess I’m keen to know whether you are still progressing it as it still has such potential if you’d just fix this stuff. Feeling so disappointed!