Home Support Symphony Pro

Composite Meter?

edited October 2011 in Symphony Pro
Hi there, I'm new to Symphony Pro, so apologies in advance for the newbie question ... but I can't find the answers I need in the manual (let me know if I just missed something obvious). When setting the time signature for a project, there's a "composite meter" option, but I can't figure out what it does.

I'm trying to write out a composition that's either in 11/8 or 3/8+3/8+3/8+2/8 .... I can set a custom time signature to 11/4, or I can manually change every fourth measure to 2/8, but I'd much rather just set the meter in advance. I'm thinking that's the very time I'd need a composite meter, but maybe I'm misunderstanding the definition. In any case, that's what I need to do.

Is there a thing I can do here?

Thanks! I'm ready to learn.

Comments

• edited October 2011
    Hi rocketlaura,

Composite time signatures are not included in Symphony Pro yet, so for 11/8 time, the only option is to set a single time signature (not a series of multiple time signatures). 

On the other hand, you probably selected the compound time signature option. This means that for applicable fractions (i.e. X/8), 3 eighth notes get 1 beat, instead of just 1. This effectively makes the song 3 times faster, but doesn't change the note value of the measures.

Let me know if this helps, and thanks for your feedback.  We'll consider adding this feature in an update.

Best,
    Phil
  • Thanks for the info, and the explanation of how compound meter works. I'm relieved I wasn't just missing something obvious. For my current project, I am leaving things at 11/8, which is working fine. If I want any subdivisions in the finished PDF, I can always tweak the printout.

I'm finding it an enjoyable experience using your app, very stable and efficient to use, and a nice-looking UI.
  • One possible way for you to insert a composite time signature in a future version would be to use the custom time signature field and enter 2 or more fractions. Let us know what you think.

Thanks,
    Phil
  • I'd like a composite time signature too. Also it'd be great if it could mix different base numbers, like 3/4 + 3/8.