Home Support Symphony Pro
Options

Tablature sync

Hello everyone
I’m trying to generate a guitar tab inside an existing or a nex music piece but i can ‘t figure out how to do it.
just adding a tab staf work, but is it possible to generate a tab from existing notes or do I have to figure out the tab by myself. If I select some notes and then choose sync tab staves it just won ‘t work. The only thing that happens is that there will be placed zero fret  markings on the high E string.

what am Indoing wrong,

greets from Dimi

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2019
    @Dimidoedel

The sync command (i.e. convert notation to tab and vice versa) isn't detailed in the manual yet, so is described better here. The feature requires that you first link the standard notation staff and tab staff into a combined part in that vertical orderwhich is covered below. If you've already made sure of this, please skip over the following steps:

- If you haven't added the second staff already, it will be necessary to add a single staff under Instruments > + > Guitars. If you're missing a tablature staff, however, you will need to choose + > Templates instead. Then choose either Guitar or Bass Tab (without any notation staff).
    - The instructions here go over how to use the Region Select menu to link the staves with a bracket.
    - In the dialog box that appears after linking them, choose Yes when it asks whether to combine the staves into a single part/instrument.

Next, two ways of applying the sync command will be available via the same context menu item: 

Note Selection: Select any note from the staff containing the note(s) you wish to convert to tablature or vice versa. You can also select multiple notes from multiple measures, but on the same staff, by dragging a rectangle over the notes. Next, choose the 'Sync Tab Staves' menu item. This will convert whole measures within the selection to the other staff (either notation or tab).
    Region Select: To convert an entire part or a longer range of notes, this option is recommended. Bring up a Region Selection (long press in Select mode), then highlight the staff and measure range you'd like reflected in the other staff. Choose "Select Notes" > "From All Layers". Like the above option, this will create a multi-note selection. The Sync Tab Staves menu item will appear, allowing you to convert the contents of the selected staff to the other staff.
    -- Using Region Select, you can also copy and paste notes from one staff to the other, which will automatically convert them into the new staff. However, this will be more repetitive than the above.

If this command still isn't functioning as expected or you've encountered bugs, please email support@symphonypro.net along with a copy of your project. We'd be glad to assist you in greater depth (or determine if the v6 early access resolved one of the known issues in v5 with this feature).
  • Options
    Same problem as Dimi. I followed all instructions above. Does not work from staff to tab, only from tab to staff. 
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    @michaelhj
    A copy of your project (sent to support@symphonypro.net) would be most appreciated in that case. We will then return to you as soon as possible with a workaround or early access link if it already resolved the bug. Do make sure, however, that:
    - The arrangement of your grand staff is standard notation staff above the tablature staff and not the other way around.
    - Make sure that your selection only contains notes from exactly one staff (i.e. the original notes to convert). Otherwise the menu item (to convert from staff to tab or vice versa) won't be available as an option.
  • Options
    Hi Everyone,
      I'm new to Symphony Pro, but have been using Sibelius for about 16 years.  I had the same problem, but I got it to work - here's what I did.

I selected one measure of the standard notation and guitar tab, which then brings up the "beam | edit | # b | Select Region | Delete" menu.  I selected "Select Region" which then brings up another menu of Cut, Copy, Paste, etc. and from there I selected "Select To End."  That brings up a third menu, and in this one, press the ">" symbol at the end to scroll to the right.  Then press "edit part/instrument groups."  This brings up another menu, where you can select "create Bracketed Group."  This brings up a dialog box entitled "Overlapping Existing Groups Found" with the option to either Overwrite Existing Group, or Append Sub-Bracket.  I chose "Overwrite Existing Group," and then when asked "Combine into single part?" I selected "yes."

I believe that links the standard notation to the Tablature staff.

Next, I used my stylus to draw a circle around the notes I had written in standard notation, pressed "select region" from the menu that appeared, and then selected "copy" from the next menu.  I did a long press on the tablature staff - fyi you have to do a long press but then lift the stylus off to get it to select a region and then get the menu to appear - and then pressed "paste."  The notes appeared with all the rests as well.  This also worked for multiple measures.

Now, an important note about technique here, if you press your stylus in the beginning of the tab staff measure, or in the middle, the first beat section of the measure will be selected in either case.  Translation, you don't have to carefully press the area at the beginning of the measure to make sure the standard notation notes are copied into the correct place.

For what it's worth - I'm doing this with a Wacom Bamboo Skecth stylus, not the Apple Pencil, and it's working pretty well.  I did have to sort of practice my handwriting to get used to it, but after about 30 minutes of drawing various kinds of notes, I got the hang of it.  I did have to learn to write without resting my hand on the iPad, but I got used to it pretty quickly.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    @derrickguitar
    Thanks for your excellent writeup. It definitely describes the complete answer to the question. A seamless workflow has always been top priority. As such, we'll try to make the above process be a bit easier in the next update (6.0), although the basic steps and tips you gave will remain identical.