Home Support Symphony Pro

How to improve drum notation

Hi-- I'm looking for tips as to how to improve my drum notation with SymphanyPro... Not sure if this is limitations in the product... or my lack of exploring.

I have high hat, snare, and bass each on separate voices.. which I've found thus far to be the most effective way of getting something close to what I want... but I'm still not finding it particularly intuitive to input, or not quite getting the results I want.. e.g., note the extra rests (marked by red 'x') that I wouldn't find necessary to put on a chart.  Also, note the green bar I added to connect the bass on the 'and of 2' to the high hat.  There'd probably be other improvements to the below, but that's where I'd like to start.

Suggestions as to how to accomplish this?

Thx,
MS

Comments

• I’ll answer my own question...

after more tinkering, and referring to some drum lesson books i have, this is what i came up with...

I am now using one voice for basic h.h./ride and snare patterns, and using a eighth note snare instead of quarter.  that got rid of the rests associated with the snare part. 

also, using a separate voice for the bass and set the note stem to point down.  i was then able to scrutinize the bass patterns a bit more and use varying note lengths to clean up the resets. 

one remaining issue i’ve not figured out. hopefully there is a way to have beams only extend one beat at a time by default. seems like i, having to force this on the bass drum parts...

looks much better if i do say so my self. 

• edited April 2019
    @DoYouLikeHam
    Thanks for your message and follow-up. We'll figure out how to make this process easier, and further suggestions are always appreciated by emailing support@symphonypro.net. For now, keep in mind that you can hide certain rests so that they don't appear in the PDF. Instructions are provided here.

one remaining issue i’ve not figured out. hopefully there is a way to have beams only extend one beat at a time by default. 

The way that beams are grouped can be customized as follows:

- Open the Measure Dialog on the first bar at which you'd like to define a new beaming rule.
    - Choose Time/Key at the bottom, then choose Configure Meter. The resulting menu is illustrated below.

- Under the Beam Groupings header, there will be one or more rows/options. The first option is there by default and allows you to customize how eighth notes are beamed. 
    - You can specify how you'd like to customize the beaming of 16th notes and smaller. First choose the Beam 16th Notes Differently row (highlighted above in green). This will add a new option under Beam Groupings below the 8th notes. 
    - To customize the beaming rule for 8th note durations to 64th notes, choose the corresponding row under Beam Groupings (e.g. 16ths). From the resulting menu, specify the pattern as numbers separated by commas or spaces. The sum of the numbers must match the capacity of the bar given the note value (e.g. 16 for 16th notes and 8 for 8th notes). 

• edited April 2019
    thanks for the tip... but not quite what i’m after. as you can see in the image above, each ‘count’ for the bass drum are beamed... in no case does the beam span more than one beat. i’m having to force this using the ‘start new beam’ for each of the four beats. refer to my example above vs adding the notes as shown... the default ( or even custom ) beaming isn’t doing what i want. 
  • @DoYouLikeHam
    Likewise as in your other post, what you've noted is clearly an important bug that needs to be resolved completely by the upcoming update, so a copy of the affected project would be greatly appreciated.