Home Support

Chang metronome speed during a composition

After setting the metronome speed at the start of the composition, I decided I wanted to change the speed some 15 bars into the composition, i.e. starting ADAGIO and then becoming ALEGRO after 15 bars. It would let me do this. It wanted the whole composition to be at the same metronome marking. When I changed the speed, it changed it from the start of the composition. How can I get this done.

Comments

• edited April 2018
    @crynant
    This requires a new metronome mark to be placed; first open the Score Symbols toolbar category, as described here:
    https://symphonypro.net/manual#b'tempo-changes-metronome-marks'

From there:
    - Switch the corresponding expandable button to the Expressions icon (Expr.) if not there already
    - From the corresponding toolbar, activate the quarter note with equal sign icon, available at the left
    - If you're in Select mode, this will add a metronome mark at the Input Cursor location (or otherwise untoggle the symbol). In Pencil mode, this will necessitate tapping the bar after activating the icon
    - Tap on the center location of the sign to highlight a given symbol in red (if not auto-highlighted). This will show the available context items for that symbol. In this case, look for the 'Edit' menu item to bring up a number picker for tempo.

Written expressions like Adagio won't be recognized as a playback tempo change. However, note that Textboxes will italicize them as standard expressions, and these elements follow the same logic with respect to entry/editing of properties.
  • crynant said:
    After setting the metronome speed at the start of the composition, I decided I wanted to change the speed some 15 bars into the composition, i.e. starting ADAGIO and then becoming ALEGRO after 15 bars. It would let me do this. It

• Mission accomplished! A bit complicated, but well done!