Home General

Symphony Pro 3.0 Bugs

edited July 2013 in General
Please post any bugs that you've found here. Do your best to cover the following details as they help us out tremendously and make bug fixing much easier.  We'll try to address all of your feedback as soon as possible, but priority will be given to posts that have the most clarity and issues that have the most urgency.

Basic Details:

1. Steps to reproduce the issue
2. What you expected and what the actual result/issue was
3. Attach a file with your message, if relevant

For stability issues including crashes, please state:
4. Your iPad model (i.e. iPad Mini, iPad 2)

5. Your iOS version

To upload a file with your post, click the "Attach a file" link right above the Save button when you're composing your message.

Comments

• First, congrats and thank you for resurrecting SP with many stability and feature improvements in Version 3!

From my first look it seems all lyrics with existing projects are gone.  Is there any way of retrieving them?
  • edited July 2013
    Hi WolfsonAZ,

Please send the Symphony project file to support@symphonypro.net.
  • edited July 2013
    Hi Phil,

I have a number of projects with included lyrics. If there is a single merged file with all projects somewhere you could point me toward I could send that. Otherwise I should send a sample? AFA I can tell all lyrics are gone from all projects....

While on this subject, it appears that the "Next" key is absent for entering lyrics. The space bar now seems to perform the function, more or less.

I'm at IOS version 6.1.3, so that shouldn't be the issue....

• You're welcome to send a sample (e.g. a few bars), a single project, or multiple projects. Once you do so, we will get back to you as soon as possible. Since there is a need to address user feedback quickly for the next 1-2 weeks, I will personally be available on weekends as well.

Regards,
    Phil

• Chord symbol
    D/E
    Does not appear kerned.
    Also if you did not have to capitalise the second letter, this would be good.

Ipad2
    iOS6.1.3
  • edited July 2013
    Entering lyrics using T2 T3 etc. does not work with the space bar, where it dismisses the keyboard.
    Also when this happens, it is possible to tap on the A in the menu and the T3 will still be lit.

v3.0
    Ipad2
    IOS6.1.3
  • edited July 2013
    Using Symphony Pro 3.0 on an iPad 2 wifi 32gb, IOS 6.1.3
    I experience an sutomatic crash on trying to open a MIDI file from iTunes.
    Here are the steps I took:

1. Located the MIDI file in Dropbox, selected Open In and chose Symphony Pro as the destination app
    2. MIdi file is transferred to Symphony Pro and I see the confirmation dialog that a file has been copied to the iTunes folder.
    3. Click + icon, select Open from iTunes, select the MIDI file by name
    4. Symphony Pro consistently crashes at this point.
    I am guessing there is something odd with the MIDI file. I can email it for analysis if that will help. Is anyone else having similar problems importing a file from iTunes?

I want to also express my appreciation for the new version. The interface is greatly improved by using IOS conventions rather than the previous idiosyncratic design which was not as easy to use. I haven't spent much time using version 3, but I already appreciate little details like the ability to delete an unwanted file, even if it is the only one in the list! Here's hoping the import feature is more stable in a maintenance upgrade.
  • edited July 2013
    Hey Sanjeet. Thanks for your feedback and support. Please attach the MIDI file to your post or email it to us.
  • Hi,
    Just bought Symphony Pro 3.0 for my 32GB iPad 3 running iOS 6.1.3. I entered the first 30 bars of a song with lyrics in the default full-screen input mode. Then I switched to continuous input mode and all the lyrics immediately disappeared (notes, chord symbols and articulation marks remained), and are still missing after switching back to full-screen mode. Tried restarting the iPad and Symphony Pro but it looks like the lyrics are gone for good.
  • Hi redwave,

Thanks for letting us know. It looks like lyrics don't work well with continuous scrolling, and we'll fix it for an update very soon, to be ready in about a week. 

Regards,
    Phil
  • Hi! My Midi keyboard input is bungled on my iPad 3. I tried reinstalling the app and switching keyboards. (Korg Nanokey 2 and iRig Keys)
    I play C and B comes out. The chromatic scale beginning from C becomes B, Bb, C, C#, D, E, Eb, F, F#, G, G#, A, B.

Thanks, I like the rewrite anyway!
    Guido
  • I am having the same experience as "guidobaldoni".  When entering from my Clavinova CVP305, SymphonyPro enters 1/2 step lower.  I tried note entry with MIDI into another app (Noteworks), and there is no problem.
  • edited July 2013
    Using an iPad 2 - 64GB

• We have addressed this important issue, and several others have reported it. Thanks for letting us know.
  • First of all welcome back and thanks for redesigned update.
    But current update has one major problem unfortunately outputting or exporting files in PDF format has unbelievably poor quality to print out. I hope this problem will be solved in Your next update.
  • I would like to report some issues with a couple of things.

1) There needs to be a better way to "turn off" the dot of a dotted note. Right now, I have to go back into the menu twice to turn it off.

2) No handles appear for me to expand a selected area to be able to mass copy/paste/cut an area (I did not see this listed in the coming patch).

3) MusicXML import doesn't seem to recognize instrumentation (particularly piano).

4) MusicXML export inserts rests throughout second voice, even when unnecessary.

Running the latest version of iOS 6 on a 4th Generation iPad.

Glad you are back; it's a tough market that is only going to get tougher in the days to come...the sale price should really build some good will, however. Thanks for all that you do!

• Dear

Many years ago a bought "Symphony Pro". It is a very nice app. And also verry stable.
    In this version you have not the "realtime midi input"? I didn't find it?
    When i play on a midi keyboard, the musical notation appears on the staff in realtime.
    That's wat I miss in the new update? That,s was very important for me?
    Thanks for helping me!

Pierre Schuermans ( teacher of music) Belgium

Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPad
  • I'd like to clarify my "select measure" issue...when I have selected a single note, I can then swipe and select a larger area, but there are no handles and selecting a
    single staff over various staff systems is difficult to do without the iOS-like handles.
  • Hi choirguy,

We have fixed this issue for the next update (This was the copy/paste display issue we listed yesterday).

Regards,
    Phil
  • I agree with choirboy about being able to turn off things like dots, accidentals, etc.

The iPad app iWriteMusic handles the situation like this: tapping a key on the palette once lets you apply it, and then it's automatically dismissed. Tapping it twice makes it "sticky" and it stays active until you you tap it again.
  • @Mikey and Choirguy: We'll consider your suggestions. Thank you.

@Pierre: Realtime midi input is still there. The Record menu has just been taken out. You have to either tap on the selected measure or tap the record button again to begin the count-in.

Regards,
    Phil
  • yes I agree with Choirguy and Mikey. I seldom enter dotted notes followed by dotted notes, so most of the time need it canceling after that note, but with an option of making it stick would be useful when you need it.
  • Hi, i'm having some problems when I try to import midi or xml. With xml, Tonality changes, as well as several notes (it misses some crucial # notes, for instance). When importing midi, voices are merged together and tempo changes are not maintained. Am I doing something wrong or is there a bug?

Thanks in advance for any help
    Salvo
  • Hi Salvo,

For your XML issue: we'd appreciate it if you attached an example file to illustrate the tonality issue, as we rely on them to perform testing. You should see a button that says "Choose File" below the comment field. You can otherwise send an attachment to our support email (support@symphonypro.net). 

You are not doing anything wrong with MIDI import. The voices are merged together as expected behavior because the ABC format can only specify one voice per track. More advanced options such as the ability to select the total number of staffs and voices are not available.

Regards,
    Phil
  • The program seems not be able to export midi, xml and aac, neither by email nor by itunes. A 'internal error' message is displayed.
  • Hi Salvo, Please cite the following details so that we can better diagnose your issues

The following is from the bug report details in the first page:
    4. Your iPad model (i.e. iPad Mini, iPad 2)

5. Your iOS version

We generally assume that you're using the latest available version of SP (3.0), but if not, let us know.

• here I am: ipad 3
    ios 5.1.1
    symphony 3.0

it used to work some days ago...
  • edited July 2013
    Thanks for the follow-up.

You have two options:

1. Upgrade to the latest version of iOS (6.1) and let us know if the issues remain. I highly recommend this because of a possibility of compatibility issues, though we tried our best to make iOS 5 devices fully functional.  This is because first-generation iPads only support up to that version.
    2. Send the files to our support email and we'll try to diagnose the issues with your current version of iOS. However, full compatibility with iOS 5 is not guaranteed after version 7.
  • Thanks for answering. The files I tried to export are some of the demos you included in SP. I can't send you anything since Exporting doesn't work anymore... ;)
    Could it be worth tryng to disinstall and reinstall SP (I say this because at first exporting used to work)?
  • @salvomenza: Try clearing the cache. Settings app > Symphony Pro > enable Reset Cache > restart the app. If you don't mind losing all of the projects in SP, then delete and re-install as the last resort.
This discussion has been closed.