Home Support Symphony Pro

Pickup/Anacrusis

edited June 2012 in Symphony Pro
I have Symphony Pro 2.4.

Under Measure, Time and Key, Options:, I can find an option for Pickup/Anacrusis. I cannot find any instructions on how to actually use it. One would assume that such a function would look at the first measure, and the ending measure and work intuitively/automatically, but (sigh) it doesn't. Does one still have to calculate and enter an abbreviated custom time in that first measure and live with an incorrect beginning time signature? If so, why bother with non-functioning options?

lmkendall

Comments

• edited June 2012
    Check the pickup box, and enter the custom time signature for that measure only; for example, 1/4 to enter a pickup of 2, eighth notes. Click DONE to return to your score. It will not change your original time signature.

I don't think that the last measure is shortened. However, I have read that that is an older convention, not always followed these days.
  • edited June 2012
    Mickey:

THANKS! That works for the first measure.
  • Mickey:

THANKS! That works for the first measure.
  • edited June 2012

Sunday, June 3, 2012 9:59 PM

Mickey:

Sorry for so many replies, but this forum softwarehas the most bugs I have ever encountered. It simply will not allow a whole reply to be sent from my iPad 3.  :(

THANKS! That works for the first measure. :)

In hymnody it is STILL the standard to shorten the last measure by the same amount as the pickup note in the first measure. When the whole piece is repeated in SymphonyPro, the timing will be wrong. So, this is only half a feature. I must still use a different time signature for the last measure. When this is printed out, it will confuse some people.

At some point SymphonyPro will allow the number of repeats to be specified, instead of just an automatic one repeat. Then, getting this right will be even more important. Of course I can always make a version to print, and a version to play. But, I don't think I should have to do so.

Don't get me wrong. I think SymphonyPro is the best application of its kind for the iPad, even with all its flaws and frequent crashes (one to two dozen an hour, way to frequent to try and report even a few). I highly recommend the program, and I appreciate all the development work being done.

Thanks!

lmk
  • Even with the lesser products in the Finale family, with all the years of development, you still sometimes have to go with the two version method.

Possibly this will be dealt with in future releases.
  • Mikey:

Thanks for the info. I can cope. Seeing that I would sacrifice my wisdom teeth (if I had any) for a programmable number of repeats, I will hope for that instead.

lmk