Feature Requests (Updated Thread)

13»

Comments

• From the perspective of attempting to get ideas onto paper before they evaporate, SP4 is IMHO much superior to Sibelius, Dorico, Staff Pad or even Kawai Touch Notation because, unlike those others, it successfully gets out of your way and lets you focus on the music rather than the process. That is high praise because, as those apps demonstrate,  it is so difficult to achieve the right balance between ergonomics, flexibility, transparency and power. Thank you for the obvious thought and care you have given to your efficient, consistent, and intuitive approach and implementation.

Enhancements:

I would like to see more options for making a selection. Perhaps a persistent selection that can be modified by addition or deletion of subsequent selections. Something like this would not wander far from the current interface paradigm and would ameliorate the rigid limitiations of a rectangular selection region.

The best selection method I have seen is in Kawai Touch Notation, where any object or group of nearby objects can be selected with a freehand  lassoo of any shape. This method is flexible, fast, and straightforward, totally intuitive. Quite a different interface paradigm than dragging a rectangle, and maybe too big a stretch away from SP4's current interface, but it sure is great to use. OTOH, pasting such a selection is not as obvious as pasting a rectangular selection - where should I paste it? Will it overwrite stuff? Etc.

I figured out a way to move notes from one voice/layer to another, but it is a cumbersome, tedious  process. A one-tap menu command to do this would be awesome.

Eventually something like Filters in Sibelius would be great for quick, complex selections.

SP4 is a terrific app. Thank you.

• Is it possible to introduce a handwritten jazz font that can be swapped for the regular font?  Notion for iOS has this and it's nice to have the option on iOS after getting accustomed to this in the desktop versions of Finale/Sibelius etc.  
  • Really love the app but as a guitar teacher just wish it was possible to notate using the standard way of tablature with notation above but the tablature with no rhythm's. The tablature with rests and ties can be a bit messy for pupils to read and any professional books they buy doesn't have the tablature with rhythm. The main thing is when a note is tied in the notation in a bar most Grade books and also books by a big publisher such as Hal Leonard will not tie the note with tablature therefore a lot of pupils will get confused as it's not the standard way. It would be great to have a choice to have this as an option alongside your current tablature with rhythms. I prefer this app over Notion but have had to use Notion currently because of this reason.
  • Sorry forgot mention it's symphonypro for iPad I'm using.
  • edited May 26
    @guiteach ;

On the issue of hiding rhythm notation, the following toggle option may be helpful, which you can locate by:
    - Opening the Measure Dialog context window on the first tablature bar of the score. A quick way to do this is by a two finger tap within the tab measure
    - Choose the "Tab" sub-heading at the bottom
    - Then turn off the Rhythm Notation switch as highlighted:

The main thing is when a note is tied in the notation in a bar most Grade books and also books by a big publisher such as Hal Leonard will not tie the note with tablature

Do you mean that ties are entirely omitted in your mentioned material? Regardless, we'll provide an option to customize them accordingly.

• Hi, that's great thanks! 
    Ties are generally read in the notation and omitted in the tablature, apart from when a technique such as a slide or hammer is added to the tied note or when a tie is between bars and then it's represented with brackets around the note not a tie line in the tablature.

http://pho.to/Ai2kx

• I REALLY hope you added the ability to layer multiple voices on a piano score (like having sixteenth notes and quarter notes in the same measure and in the same staff) on the iPhone version. That was the one feature that, without it, renders the iPhone version utterly useless for me. PLEASE TELL ME YOU ADDED IT!!
  • edited June 8
    @PianoMan23

You should see a voice function (labeled V1) at the lower right, but make sure you're in landscape mode. Portrait doesn't yet support this function.
    You can then press to toggle through the two available layers for the iPhone app, with the first voice being assigned by default as having the upward stems.